29. May 2019 | Recycling

Study: Reducing the use of disposable cups in three years

Germans use 2.8 billion disposable cups for hot drinks annually, or 34 cups per person. Often, these cups and their lids are carelessly disposed of or fall from trash bins, ending up in nature. A current study from the German federal environmental agency (Umweltbundesamt; UBA) suggests introducing a reusable system and establishing a "littering fund".

The UBA study recommends agreeing a reusable cup system with the industry. In such a system, beverages would be cheaper than their single-use alternatives. The monies from the "littering fund" would be used both for cleaning up public spaces and for awareness campaigns. Whoever puts single-use cups into circulation would have to pay into the fund.

60% of the single-use cups in circulation in Germany are paper cups coated with plastic; the remaining 40% are all plastic. In addition, there are about 1.3 billion single-use lids per year.

Single-use coffee cups
Single-use cups for coffee and other hot beverages end up in nature way too often
Source: Weixx / fotolia.com
Reusable cups in many different sizes
Reusable cups in many different sizes
Source: Faircup

edited by Christiane Lingrön

to top print RSS-Feed